Do you find yourself annoyed by the loud noises your garage door makes? Not only can it bother your neighbors and wake up people who are asleep, but it’s also a sign that your garage door may have a problem. Fortunately, there are solutions to these issues that can be done quickly and efficiently.
Here are some possible causes and solutions for your noisy garage door:
- Nuts and Bolts: Nuts and bolts can loosen over time, causing rattling or vibrating noises. Tightening these parts with a wrench and socket can make a significant difference in reducing the volume of the noise. However, be careful not to secure them too tightly, as this could strip the screw holes or cause other damage.
- Rollers: Squeaking and grinding noises may indicate that you must lubricate your rollers. If the noise persists, you may need to replace them, especially if they have rust or other signs of wear. Nylon rollers are a great alternative to metal ones since they produce less noise.
- Springs: Springs are responsible for lifting the door and holding the tension that keeps it in place. If your springs are worn out, broken, or damaged, it’s best to call a professional to replace them. Never attempt to replace springs alone, as they can become dangerous projectiles if they break.
- Hinges: Hinges ensure that your door opens and closes properly, so it’s essential to lubricate them regularly. A professional should replace worn or broken hinges to avoid further damage or injury.
- Loud Garage Door Opener: If you’ve checked all other parts and still can’t locate the noise source, your garage door opener may be the culprit. Loose chains or support rails can cause rattling, while a dying motor could produce straining noises. Troubleshoot your opener by referring to the operation manual, and contact a professional if necessary.
Prevention is key to avoiding noisy garage doors. Regular maintenance can help keep your door running smoothly and quietly. If the noise persists, contact Precision Overhead Garage Door Service for expert advice and quality work at a fair price.