Preparing your garage door for the upcoming season is essential as summer approaches and the winter months become a distant memory. Although garage doors are designed to last between 15 and 20 years, regular maintenance is necessary to avoid any future issues. Las Vegas’s summer heat can make garages uncomfortably hot and hazardous to combustible items stored inside, so follow these tips to ensure that your garage is ready for the season:
- Clean the outer door: Dust and dirt can accumulate inside your garage door, but the outer area can also become dirty due to wear and tear and the elements. Start by cleaning the inside of your garage door, and then use soap and water to scrub the outer door. Add a thin layer of car wax to both sides of the door to prevent dust buildup. If your garage door is made of wood, apply a fresh coat of paint and a water sealant to prevent rotting. If you have a steel door, sand down any rust spots and apply a zinc primer.
- Check for wear and tear: It’s essential to look for any signs of broken or bent hinges, rusty springs, and other hardware that needs to be tightened. If you notice frayed or worn-out cables, contact a professional to replace them.
- Apply lubrication: After checking for wear and tear, lubricate any moving parts, weather-stripping, and the garage door opener’s tracks. Avoid using oils like WD-40 and opt for oils specially made for garage doors. Be careful not to apply too much oil, which can attract dirt and dust.
- Check the bolts: Always check the bolts at the back of the track to ensure none are loose. Loose bolts can cause your garage door to fall and cause damage or injury.
- Check the Springs: Springs can break at any time, no matter how well they are maintained. Keeping them rust-free can extend their lifespan. If a spring does break, call a professional to replace it. Check the tension of the springs by pulling the emergency release on the door while it’s closed. If the door closes, the springs need more tension; if it flies open, they require less tension.
- Insulation: Proper insulation is crucial for preventing heat transfer into your garage. Consider purchasing a garage door with polystyrene or Intellicore insulation to prevent heat and cool air from escaping.
- Hire an experienced garage door company: Precision Overhead Garage Door Service is a reliable and professional company that provides same-day, 24-hour emergency service throughout the Las Vegas area.