[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” menu_anchor=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” background_color=”” background_image=”” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_mp4=”” video_webm=”” video_ogv=”” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” overlay_color=”” video_preview_image=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” padding_top=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” padding_right=”” type=”legacy”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding_top=”” padding_right=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”true” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_sizes_top=”” border_sizes_bottom=”” border_sizes_left=”” border_sizes_right=”” first=”true” type=”1_1″][fusion_text columns=”” column_min_width=”” column_spacing=”” rule_style=”default” rule_size=”” rule_color=”” content_alignment_medium=”” content_alignment_small=”” content_alignment=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” sticky_display=”normal,sticky” class=”” id=”” font_size=”” fusion_font_family_text_font=”” fusion_font_variant_text_font=”” line_height=”” letter_spacing=”” text_color=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=””]
If you’re shopping for a new garage door opener, a DC motor is one option you’ll find on the market. Motor type is just one consideration. Like many homeowners, you have probably looked at the pros and cons of belt drive, chain drive, screw drive, and other types of systems for your garage door. But here is a look at how a DC-powered garage door opener works and the ways it can benefit you.
What Is Garage Door DC Motor Technology?
To help you understand what DC motor technology is, we’ll start by explaining the difference between AC and DC power:
- AC Power: AC, or alternating current, changes directions, going to and from the power source continuously.
- DC Power: DC, or direct current, constantly flows in a single direction.
While AC garage door openers have traditionally been more common and preferred for their durability, DC-powered systems are gradually becoming more popular. It’s becoming easier to find a DC smart garage door opener as DC power supports a wider range of features now found in many models.
Advantages of DC Motor Technology for Garage Doors
There are many reasons to consider switching to a DC garage door opener. Here are some of the leading advantages of installing DC motor technology in your garage:
- Battery backup: An optional backup battery is not available with AC garage door opener motors. The battery of a DC motor, however, kicks in in case there is a power outage, and may allow your garage door to open and close as much as 20 times in a day.
- Speed adjustment: A DC motor is more versatile and is capable of variable speed operation, allowing you to adjust the speed of your garage door. Adjustable speed provides for a softer start and stop, which can reduce strain on garage door components.
- Quiet operation: A DC motor uses less power, so it usually runs quieter than its AC alternative. This means if you have an attached garage, there will be less noise for occupants of adjacent rooms to deal with. You may not even know the system is running, even if you’re in the house.
- Energy savings: A garage door opener motor that runs off of DC power is more energy efficient, which is better for the environment and can help reduce your monthly utility bills.
- Smart technology options: Since DC motors are smaller, more features can be added to the modern smart garage door opener. A DC-powered garage door opener may feature smartphone monitoring capabilities so you can track its status from anywhere, an internet gateway, and an auto close mechanism. Numerous apps are now available to operate and monitor your garage door remotely, a feature enabled by DC power.
If you’re looking to overhaul your garage door opener with DC technology, you’ll want to consider the same factors with traditional systems. These include the right door type for your home, a suitable horsepower rating, insulation, and safety features such as auto-reverse and overhead lights. There are also options unique to DC motors, including brush and brushless models that tend to last longer.
Contact Precision Door Service of Las Vegas
Trusted for professional garage door opener installation and garage door repair in Las Vegas, we can help if you’re considering an upgrade to a DC-powered garage door opener. Our technicians are highly trained and experienced in their trade. You can depend on them for prompt and reliable service during the coronavirus pandemic, as we’re providing no contact service and adhering to social distancing, sanitation, and mask/PPE guidelines. To receive top quality Las Vegas garage door service, call 702-637-2700; our operators are available 24/7.