To keep your garage door looking its best, it’s essential to clean it regularly. Cleaning it at least twice a year, during spring and fall, is recommended, but it’s wise to clean it up to four times a year if you live in coastal or high-moisture areas. Humidity and salt air can affect your aluminum or any other garage door. Follow these steps to get started:
Prepare your supplies:
- Mild dishwashing soap
- Soft cloths
Brush off cobwebs and dirt, then rinse the door:
- Use a material to brush off cobwebs and dirt from the garage door.
- Wet the door with a gentle stream from a garden hose or bucket of clean water.
Apply soap and scrub lightly:
- Mix a mild dishwashing soap with plenty of water.
- Dip a cloth into the soap and water mixture and start scrubbing the top of your garage door, moving downwards.
- Use more pressure for any stains.
Rinse and dry:
- Wash off the soap with fresh water.
- Dry the door with a soft cloth.
Wax the door:
- Waxing the door helps protect it from elements and maintain its shine.
- Apply a car liquid wax once the door has dried thoroughly after washing.
- Check the garage door manual to see if specific products are recommended.
Clean and lubricate weatherstripping:
- Weatherstripping and trim need to be cleaned and lubricated to last longer.
Clean the interior of your garage door:
- The inside of your garage door can also get dirty, so clean it using the same process.
Garage Door Maintenance Tips
- Never power-wash your garage door, as the force can cause damage. Stick to handwashing to protect your garage door.