[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” background_position=”center center” background_repeat=”no-repeat” fade=”no” background_parallax=”none” parallax_speed=”0.3″ video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_loop=”yes” video_mute=”yes” border_style=”solid” type=”legacy”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ layout=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” border_position=”all” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding_top=”” padding_right=”” padding_bottom=”” padding_left=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” center_content=”no” last=”true” min_height=”” hover_type=”none” link=”” border_sizes_top=”” border_sizes_bottom=”” border_sizes_left=”” border_sizes_right=”” first=”true” type=”1_1″][fusion_text columns=”” column_min_width=”” column_spacing=”” rule_style=”default” rule_size=”” rule_color=”” content_alignment_medium=”” content_alignment_small=”” content_alignment=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,medium-visibility,large-visibility” sticky_display=”normal,sticky” class=”” id=”” font_size=”” fusion_font_family_text_font=”” fusion_font_variant_text_font=”” line_height=”” letter_spacing=”” text_color=”” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”left” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_offset=””]
Important components in your garage door system, garage door rollers connect the door to the tracks so it can open and close properly. These rollers feature a rod and wheel design and tend to experience wear and tear over time; worn/damaged rollers can strain the garage door opener and decrease its lifespan. But how do you know when they need to be replaced? Continue reading to find out when the right time for roller replacement is.
How Long Do Garage Door Rollers Last?
Garage door rollers are rated by cycles. One cycle is defined as a single opening and closing of the garage door. Assuming garage doors are opened 3-5 times per day on average, that equals about 1,500 times per year. Rollers that are rated for 10,000 cycles therefore last from 6-7 years. They should be replaced if near the end of their rated lifespan. To be sure, check the owner’s manual or other documentation that came with your garage door system. It will tell you the service life of rollers and other components.
Importance of Replacing Garage Door Rollers
Worn, bent, or loosened rollers can slow your garage door down. It can become jerky and eventually get jammed, preventing it from fully closing. A stuck garage door can prevent you from getting in and out of your garage and provide thieves, pests, and rainwater with a way in. At the very least, bad rollers will strain the garage door opener to the point it too needs to be replaced.
Signs Garage Door Rollers Need to Be Replaced
There are a few common signs that mean it’s time to replace your garage door rollers. These include:
- Visible damage, such as cracking and chipping.
- A bent or loose connection between the roller rod and wheel.
- Broken seals on rollers with ball bearings.
- Unusual noises, such as squeaking and grinding.
- The garage door is crooked or slow.
- Excessive vibration when operating the garage door.
These signs usually mean it’s time for roller replacement. If the rollers are noisy, they may just need lubrication, but it’s important to check for damage or rusted rails, which must be addressed by a garage door repair professional.
Types of Garage Door Rollers
The different types of rollers on the market, and their pros, cons, and expected longevity, include:
- Nylon rollers: The most expensive, but perform well, are the quietest and, depending on quality, can last from 12-20 years. Given their longevity, the cost of nylon rollers may well be worth it.
- Plastic rollers: The most basic type of garage door rollers, plastic varieties last just a few years. They have no ball bearings and consist of a plastic wheel around a steel shaft.
- Steel rollers with ball bearings: These are the noisiest but can last 10-15 years. In older models there’s a tendency for the metal around the bearings to stretch, eventually causing the ball bearings to fall out or the roller to break off.
- Steel rollers without ball bearings: Basic rollers that last 2-3 years at the most. However, people often choose them for their affordability and the absence of noise caused by ball bearings.
Contact Precision Door Service of Las Vegas
Whether you have a broken garage door roller or your door isn’t running as smoothly, contact us for professional garage door repair. We provide garage door roller replacement throughout Las Vegas and surrounding areas. Our team is working to protect customers during the coronavirus pandemic with no contact service, sanitized equipment, and social distancing, while our technicians wear proper masks while servicing your garage door. If you’re experiencing a roller problem, call the most trusted Las Vegas garage door service at 702-637-2700 today.