Many homeowners find that they could use more living space. But building a house extension is a complex and expensive project. A more practical alternative to a home addition is to convert the garage into a functional living area. After all, many people choose to park their cars on the street anyway, leaving the garage empty. Converting a garage into a room has many possibilities.
Garage Conversion Ideas
Some top garage remodeling ideas include creating a:
- Home Office – More people are working from home or creating home-based businesses, so a home office provides an opportunity to explore just about any business venture. A garage has more than enough space to accommodate an office setup with a computer workstation, meeting/conference area, and storage.
- Bedroom or Guest House – Since you already have an open layout to work with, it’s feasible to create an extra bedroom or add a guest suite. You can arrange the furniture in just about any way you want. Plus, there are unlimited design possibilities.
- Home Gym/Fitness Room – Most garages can accommodate basic fitness equipment. By turning your garage into a gym, you don’t have to travel or share equipment and can work out privately.
- Play Room – Children need their space too. Converting the garage into a play room gives them plenty of room for fun without taking over the house.
- Art Studio – If you have a hobby you’d like to spend more time on, the garage is the perfect space. Your studio can include a place to focus on your craft and room to display your creations.
Garage Remodeling Tips & Essentials
Every garage conversion project requires a plan. There are a lot of considerations, all of which add to the cost and the budget you will need.
- Insulation – About $1 per square foot, so insulating an entire garage can cost several hundred dollars, including the walls, ceiling, and floor, which may need to be raised.
- Drywall – Can cost from $1,200 to over $5,000, depending on garage size. Thicker, fire-resistant panels can cost 50% more.
- HVAC ducts and vents – Can cost up to $2,000, not including the cost of heating and cooling equipment for your HVAC system.
- Garage door upgrade – With so many garage door types and options for insulation and energy efficiency, the cost is highly variable.
- Outlets, lighting, and electrical wiring – An electrician can charge up to $100 per hour to run wiring; the more wires, outlets, and lights you need, the more this will cost.
- Windows – Expect to spend about $1,000 per each window that you add. The benefits can be worth it in terms of comfort and efficiency. You may want to add extra doors as well.
- Plumbing – Can cost from $300 to $1,800; building a bathroom from scratch is a costly job.
Depending on your local building code, you may also need a permit to convert your garage. On average, permits for such construction range from $1,000 to $1,500. In addition, you will need to order an inspection to ensure the project meets building code and zoning requirements.
Pros and Cons of Garage Conversion
If you plan on undertaking a major garage renovation, the pros of such work include:
- Additional living space
- More usable room in your home
- No need to build a new structure
- You keep all your yard space
- More affordable than home additions
However, converting a garage can have some cons, such as:
- No space to store your car
- A vehicle left outside, exposed to the elements
- Reduced storage space
- Can be costly and time-consuming
- No guarantee of added home value
Conclusion: Should You Convert Your Garage?
If you intend to add living space in your garage, we hope these tips give you ideas and help understand the main things to consider. A garage conversion is a project that serves your functional needs at home. It’s a major renovation, but with professional help, you can achieve your goals.
Contact Precision Door Service of Las Vegas
Our Las Vegas garage door service company is open during the coronavirus pandemic to help with garage door repair and installation. Whether you have an emergency or wish to consult with a certified technician about converting your garage, call us at 702-637-2700 today!